On iTunes [for Apple devices]
On Stitcher [for Android devices]
As an engineering lead for Microsoft, Dona Sarkar has the opportunity to create technology we all use. Case in point: HoloLens, the first fully untethered, holographic computer that enable hi-definition holograms to integrate with your world. You would think a job like that (and a new husband and pet cat) might be enough to keep a girl busy, but for Dona, happiness is found by exploring and creating. As a budding fashion designer, fashion blogger and author of seven books including can’t-miss career guide, You Had Me At Hello World.
In the first episode of I Want Her Job: The Podcast, we talk to Dona to learn about the power of a technology career, the secret to a full life and how side hustles will enhance any woman’s marketability.
TOPICS DISCUSSED IN TODAY’S SHOW:
- Disrupting Tech: “We keep going after the same 2 billion people over and over again in tech, but why?” she asks. Dona wants her company, and others, to go after the 5 billion underserved individuals across the world instead.”
- Why, Hello: Dona discusses her latest book for women aspiring to work in tech, You Had Me At Hello World, which you can buy here.
- Wearable Fashion: We hear about Dona’s latest fashion project involving a pair of amazing gloves and also why she launched her style blog for women in tech, Fibonacci Sequins.
- Ready, Set: Coding is simply building things for people, Dona says, while urging those considering a career in the industry to “not be scared” when starting out. After all, we didn’t stop riding a bike after falling for the first time, so why would we quit coding after making our first mistake.
- Resources To Learn: Build your skill set with sites like udemy, YouTube, Lynda, and Codeacademy, Dona says.
- Leading Lady: Read Dona’s two-part I Want Her Job online interview here and here.
- Microsoft’s HoloLens: Find out more here.
- Connect With Dona: Visit her website, donasarkar.com, or follow her on Twitter @DonaSarkar.